6 cloves garlic, unpeeled
4 T olive oil (divided)
1½ lbs russet potatoes, peeled, cut 2″ diced
1½ lbs yams, peeled, cut 2″ diced
½ c+ milk
2 T butter
1 t+ minced fresh rosemary (or ¼ t dried)
¾ c fresh grated parmesan (divided)
1 c sour cream
1. Roast garlic cloves in ramekin with 3 T olive oil, 25 mins in 350°F oven.
2. Cool & peel garlic, Reserve garlic cloves & garlic oil.
3. Boil all potatoes in large pot of salted water, 25 mins.
4. Drain & return potatoes to same pot.
5. Add milk, butter, rosemary, roasted garlic & reserved garlic oil to potatoes. Mash until smooth & fluffy.
6. Mix in ½ c parmesan cheese, sour cream, s&p.
7. Spoon into oiled casserole dish, sprinkle with remaining ¼ c parmesan & drizzle with 1 T olive oil.
8. Bake uncovered until golden, approx 45 mins
Note: can be made ahead & refrigerated, remove from fridge an hr before cooking