14 ⅛ tbsp sugar, granulated
10 ⅔ tbsp cornstarch
⅓ tsp cinnamon, ground
¼ tsp salt, iodized
4 ⅓ cup coconut milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 each lime, 3″ strip of peel
1 each cinnamon stick
⅓ cup coconut, shredded
1. In a large, saucepan or stockpot (preferably one with sloping sides), off heat while pot is cold, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, first quantity ground cinnamon and salt.
2. Gradually whisk half the coconut milk and vanilla into the sugar. This will smooth out the sugar and cornstarch mixture and prevent any clumps. Once a thick, lump-free paste has been created, whisk in the remaining coconut milk.
3. Add the lime peel and cinnamon stick.
4. Place over medium heat. Whisk frequently while bringing the mixture up to simmer. Once small bubbles form on the edges of the pan, begin whisking constantly, but not vigorously as to not add air bubbles. Cook on medium, 5-10 mins, or until the whisk leaves behind a ribbon when lifted from pot.
5. Remove the pot from the heat. Fish out and discard the lime peel and the cinnamon stick and allow to cool slightly. Pour into serving dishes or molds. Individual or large.
6. Refrigerate until completely chilled, overnight preferred. When ready to serve, unmold (if using) and sprinkle with second quanity cinnamon and toasted coconut.